Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Garden: part 1

"We are sowing, daily sowing, countless seeds of good and ill,
Scattered on the level lowlands, Cast upon the windy hill;
Seeds that sink in rich brown furrows, Soft with heaven's gracious rain;
Seeds that rest upon the surface Of the dry, unyielding plain;"

We were finally able to plant our garden this year.
We started a bunch of sprouts a month ago, and then transplanted them to the garden.
We have a double garden this year so we're trying out some new stuff...like sweet peas :)

"Seeds that fall amid the stillness Of the lovely mountain glen;
Seeds cast out in crowded places, Trodden under foot of men;
Seeds by idle hearts forgotten, Flung at random on the air;
Seeds by faithful souls remembered, Sown in tears and love and prayer;"

Saxon was a good helper and watered everything we planted.
One of our neighbors hasn't planted yet, so he raked their garden and dug up some of their weeds for them.

"Seeds that lie unchanged, unquickened, Lifeless on the teeming mold;
Seeds that live and grow and flourish When the sower's hand is cold.
By a whisper sow we blessings; By a breath we scatter strife.
In our words and thoughts and actions Lie the seeds of death and life."

Bubby ran up and down collecting rocks, and occasionally squashing some poor seedlings.
He did help me plant pumpkins though and did a really good job.

"Thou who knowest all our weakness, Leave us not to sow alone!
Bid thy angels guard the furrows Where the precious grain in sown,
Till the fields are crowned with glory, Filled with mellow, ripened ears,
Filled with fruit of life eternal, From the seed we sowed in tears."

Since Bridger didn't get a nap (you know what that means) and Saxon was having an emotional day, we took a break to swing for a while. I was hoping Bridger would just fall asleep, but he didn't...


The boys wore their "garden boots" so they could stomp around in the mud.
They have matching ones, but Bridger was too sad to let me take a picture:


We're so excited about our garden.
Wish us luck!
If anyone has any good gardening advice or secrets, I would love to hear it...

"We Are Sowing"
LDS Hymn Book #216
This was actually one of my least favorite songs on my mission. I didn't recognize it in English, so my companion, Kristi, sang it for me and we laughed so hard! It turns out it was my least favorite in English and Portuguese. There are some songs that I like better in Portuguese, and some I like better in English. This one was about the same for me in both languages. As I was flipping through the hymn book, I came across this one and read it. It turns out that I do actually like the words as a poem, so here it is :)

4 comments:

kristi said...

OH MY GOSH!!! This post made me laugh SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard!!! I can totally remember that!! ha ha ha ha ha. On the flip side - I'm proud of you for taking it's advice and planting such a sweet garden. Can I come down and reep the fruits of your labor??

ha ha ha - still laughing!! Semeando dia a dia...... :)

The life of MeMe said...

Once upon a time, long long ago, I had a house. I had a pretty nice garden too. I cannot wait to see more pics of yours growing. I will have to live vicariously threw you. Although I wouldn't come to me for advice, I managed to kill my only fruit tree. I still don't know how.

The life of MeMe said...

Typo, I meant "live vicariously THROUGH you"

Brittany@Love Stitched said...

How fun! I can't wait to see what you grow! YUMMY! The boys look so cute in their boots too! :)