Monday, February 11, 2013

Valentine's Sunday Dinner

 Sunday dinner is one of my favorite times during the week.
I put more preparation and planning into Sunday dinner than into week-day dinners, and Nate is home to help, and Mike comes over.

So, whenever we have a Sunday dinner before a holiday, we try to do something extra-special.  This week I planned a "Valentine's Sunday Dinner."

I saw an idea on pinterest for "Valentine's floats."
It was vanilla ice cream, diet pomegranate 7-UP (or you could use cherry 7-UP), and a licorice for a straw.

My kids LOVED it!  They thought it was so funny!  They loved drinking out of licorice straws, and they loved that the ice cream made the soda foam up over the top of their glass.

For dinner we made copy-cat Cafe Rio pork salads.
 Bridger was so into his drink that he wouldn't look at me.
Dalton makes his goofy face every time the camera turns to him.
I think he anticipates the flash, so he closes his eyes before I even take the picture.

More Dalton crazy faces:
My sweet Saxon:
For a treat we also made stained glass cookies.
I used to make them as a kid at my Grandpa and Jenna's house.
Jenna knows how to make them, but I've never made them without her.
This was a first attempt, but they turned out pretty good!
 The boys loved filling their cookies with all the different colors.

And this is how they turned out:
They were so much fun to make!
Later that night I kept finding cookies with the "stained glass" missing out of the middle of them.  It turns out that Bridger like the candy better than the cookie so he was eating the middles out of them and then putting them back.

Can't wait for Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Brooke Thomas said...

those cookies are so awesome! I wish I made those with gp and Jenna haha I never even knew those existed!!