Monday, October 15, 2012

September Artwork

September was a busy month for us.
Saxon started kindergarten, Bridger started preschool, and Dalton started field-trip-Fridays. 
At the end of every month I take pictures of the kids artwork.
They do an art project every single day in preschool.
Here is Bridger showing off his art: 
Can you tell how proud he is of his work?  
And how excited he was that I made him take this picture?

They read "Butterflies in Timmy's Tummy", "Rainbow Fish", they learned "Mary had a little lamb" and learned about metamorphosis.  They talked about fire safety, Johnny Appleseed, and drew lots of pictures.

This is Bridger's version of "play".
They each had to draw a picture of their favorite thing about school.



This is Bridger's apple with a worm coming out of it.
Every day when I pick Bridger up, I ask:
"What did you do in school today?"
And everyday he tells me:
"I'm not telling you.  It's a secret."
But on this day, he laughed and said,
"Look!  A worm!"
 So that's why this piece of art gets it's very own picture.
Because it was Bridger's favorite :)
Saxon also talked about Johnny Appleseed in school and made apple prints.
This was the only art work they have done in Kindergarten so far.
It's hard to compare because we had the best preschool experience in the world, but I am a little bummed that they don't do more art and drawing.  Saxon is really artistic and loves to draw.  He does draw and paint a lot at home, I wish they did a little more in school.  They do have music time on Mondays, so I guess that's good.
If he comes home from school knowing how to read by the end of the year, then maybe I will re-evaluate my opinion of public schools.
For now, I'm undecided.
*Sidenote:
Saxon wore this shirt on picture day.  When I dressed him, he asked "Why am I putting on a church shirt?"  I told him that it was picture day.  He walked over to the mirror and checked himself out from every angle and then said "Ooh...I look handsome!"  Yes he does!  I can't wait to get the pictures back!!

No comments: