Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The end of the garden...

One of my favorite things about living in Pemberley is the gardens.
I LOVE my garden!
It makes up (a little bit) for not having a backyard.
My garden is right in front of the playground too, so while I garden, my boys can play.
Then every fall, we harvest all of our vegetables and can them for the winter.

We found out a few months ago that Pleasant Grove City was proposing to build a road through our gardens to support a new development of super-high-density housing behind us.  There will be so many apartment, that they won't even have room for adequate parking.  The residents will be expected to share parking with the neighboring commercial parking lots (which don't yet exist).

Nate went to the meeting to voice our concerns, along with most of our neighborhood.
However, PG city council had already approved it before the meeting.
Most of the members of the board didn't even remember approving it.
They told us that we shouldn't be concerned because we too live in "transient housing."
Transient.
That's what they call the homeless camps that build up under bridges.
Apparently that's what the the city council thinks of us as well.

The meeting went on for over 4 hours and our group was the last one addressed.
It didn't matter however, because the city had already approved it.
Because I'm sure that's really what's in Pleasant Grove's best interest...more apartments!

So now, we have been notified that we have about 7-10 days before the construction begins.  We can't even finish this year's harvest.
And that little fence behind Saxon is supposed to protect our children from the busy road on the other side?
I cried.
I'm that upset about it.
I have loved living in PG, loved the garden, and loved Pemberley.
However, I am sure that I will never buy a home in PG again.
So today, we were out picking our pumpkins...
And I let Dalton eat as many cherry tomatoes as he could get his hands on.
We planted the cherry tomatoes just for him and he eats them like candy!


LOVE this cute face!
Saxon was using Nate's leatherman to try to cut the stem off his pumpkin.
He gouged the pumpkin a few times, but he finally got it :)

Sunflowers.
Carrots.
Onions.
Marigolds.
Dalton picking more tomatoes!
I usually give him his own bag and let him fill it up and bring it home.
And whatever we can't eat, we give away, or preserve for the winter.


Look at all of this beautiful space that we are losing!
Sorry to keep complaining, but I am so sad!

I'm really going to miss gardening.
We are so disappointed in Pleasant Grove City and the City Council.

1 comment:

Rebecca W. said...

That is so sad! Why do they need more housing when people (e.g. Fern and Josh) are having a hard time renting out or even selling the ones that are already there.

Well...I hope you guys are doing well otherwise. :)