Thursday, May 23, 2013

Jack and the Beanstalk

For an end of kindergarten project, Saxon had to do a fairy tale report.
Of course, he picked "Jack and the Beanstalk."
It's one of the fairy tales that I am least familiar with, so we had to read a few versions of it first.  Then he had to re-write the story in his own words.  It had to have a distinct beginning, middle, and end, be spelled correctly and have correct grammar and punctuation.  He also had to illustrate it and design a cover.  It was a lot of work!  The next week, they had their "Fairy Tale Ball".  They each dressed up like the character from their fairy tale and had fairy tale activities all day.  We had to be creative to think of what Jack would wear, but this is what we came up with: 
Isn't he darling?!!
He looked soooo cute with his hat and his bag of magic beans!
Nate stayed up all night making his bag of magic beans.
And a funny story about the leaves...
Saxon has been really nervous about moving this summer, so he is having a hard time letting go of things.  He wants to save everything he finds.  He keeps hiding things under his bed; rocks, sticks, leaves, and pretty much anything I try to throw away.
I was wishing for some leaves to decorate his costume when I remembered that a few weeks ago, he found a fake tree branch full of leaves and asked to keep it.  I said no.  But, I thought there was probably a good chance that he kept it and hid it somewhere.  So we asked him, and sure enough, it was hidden behind some things we are storing under the bed so we couldn't see it.  He pulled it out and we were able to finish off his costume.  He was pretty proud that all his "saving" worked out because I keep trying to throw all of his "treasures" away.
I just can't get over how handsome he is!
Love love love this boy!!!

1 comment:

Brooke Thomas said...

I can't get over how big he is! I'm dying he is SO cute!!