Wednesday, October 7, 2009

One of those days...

This is me and Saxon having a bad day:

Saxon is having a bad day because he has a grumpy mommy and a stuffy nose.
Mommy is having a bad day because:
-a flat tire
-a possessed microwave (it never turns off) that is in a million pieces on the counter
-Nate had to leave for work early to fix the tire and find microwave repair parts
-Nate called to say he'd be home late because work was busy today
-a headache
-2 sick kids
and the list goes on...nothing huge, just frustrating...

Around 7:00, my friend Rachel called to see if she could bake some cupcakes in my oven.
She needed to have 250 cupcakes by the end of the night!
After 4 dozen cupcakes my house smelled so yummy that I felt like baking.
Saxon climbed out of bed at 9:00 and felt like baking too.
We turned to our favorite baking blog (conversations with a cupcake) and found a recipe for a
Pumpkin and Maple Gingerbread Marble Friendship Bundt Cake.
We felt inspired.

Saxon and I decided that our day would be better if the house smelled like gingerbread and if we surprised Nate with a cake when he came home from work (late).


Once the cake was in the oven,
Saxon asked me if he could call Nate and say hi.
I said sure.
When Nate answered, Saxon said,
"Hi Daddy! Guess what! We made you a birthday cake. It's pumpkin."
So much for the surprise.

It's now midnight.
Saxon waited up for Nate so he could sing "Happy Birthday."
(FYI: It's not Nate's birthday).
Bridger must have sensed that he was missing out because he woke up and came running out.
I'm tired, but at least my house smells like gingerbread and Nate likes his cake.
So Saxon and I feel better.

8 comments:

Handi Andi said...

Dang, rough day! The cake looks amazing! Do you like how conversations lady changed up her blog? Not sure I like it. Good luck with the microwave!

Heather Strong said...

That is so cute of you to bake a cake for Nate! Sometimes I love hearing that other people have bad days (and headaches) so I know I'm not the only one!

lori and clark remington said...

I hope you will feel better soon Cait! Cute cake. I bet it takes yummy!

Amber said...

I hate when little things pile up to be a big thing and then when people ask why your day was hard and you list something little they wonder how that small thing could bring you down. It happens to me all the time. Let me know how the cake turned out. The name makes it sounds so delicious I want to try it.

The life of MeMe said...

I'm glad you made sweets from a day that lacked sweetness. Baking is good for the soul.

Brittany and Johnse said...

I HATE when ALL the little things in life come crashing down onto ONE day! it sucks! on a side note...your eyes and Saxon's eyes in the top pictures are IDENTICAL!! blue eyed beauties!

kristi said...

Sorry your day was so bad! I was thinking we had one more week but realized we missed our day of getting together. We need to do that soon!!!!!

grammie cathy said...

oh i am so sorry that you had a bad day and that saxon felt like it was a bad day too... i am so glad that you bake to feel better like i do, i hope nate loved his surprise. i miss you guys tons