Monday, December 13, 2010

Saxon's tonsils recovery...

Well, tonight we went to see my Grandma and Grandpa and then to go see the lights on Temple Square (I'll post the pictures tomorrow).  It was so fun!  My Grandma said that it seems like Saxon's tonsils went well since I haven't mentioned it.  So, I thought I should tell the real story...

It was horrible, awful, miserable, frustrating, etc. etc. etc.  He was soooo sick!  The first day wasn't so bad.  They gave Saxon a lot of pain medicine and told us to give him the pain medicine every 4 hours around the clock.  He came home and slept, and then ate popsicles and ice cream.  Nate had to go to work right after Saxon's surgery, so I had to handle it.  When it was time for him to take his medicine before bed, I handed him the push syringe because he likes to do it himself.  Well, he squirted it too hard and it hit the back of his throat.  He instantly started crying and gagging and throwing up.  He swore he would never take that "ouchy" medicine again, and he wasn't kidding.

Four hours later we woke him up to give him more and he screamed and kicked and refused.  We stayed up most of the night trying to convince him to take it.  We tried sneaking it into drinks or food.  We tried putting it in his mouth while he was asleep, we tried everything.  He wouldn't take it.

In the morning, the doctor's office called to check on him.  I told them what was going on and they said he either had to take it or go check into the hospital because he wouldn't be able to rest and heal if he was in that much pain.  He refused to eat or drink anything, and just laid on the air mattress in the living room looking glassed over.  He had a fever that kept getting higher.  They told us he should be drinking 8 oz an hour if he wasn't going to eat.  Well, he hadn't had 8 oz. in almost 24 hours.  I was really getting worried.  His lips were getting really chapped because he was getting so dehydrated.  We finally decided to hold him down and force him to take it.  If that didn't work, we were going to the hospital.  

He kicked and screamed and begged and fought (and he's really strong) and spit, but we finally forced a little medicine into him.  Within a half hour, he was feeling so much better.  We had to go through this same routine for about the first 5 days.  We had to fight him every 4 hours around the clock.  It was horrible.  Horrible!  


They told us that day 6 and 7 would be the worst.  I don't know if they were worse, but they were definitely just as bad.  It seemed like there was no light at the end of the tunnel.  I felt so bad for him, and at the same time, I was so frustrated with him for making this so difficult.  He was up most of the night because he was in pain (so I was up most of the night too), and then would sleep til noon and was really grouchy all day.  He would get horrible headaches and said that even his ears were hurting.  He tantrumed over everything and everything upset him.


Finally, day 8 seemed a little better.  He wanted to go to preschool so we let him.  I told his teacher to call him if he seemed anything but normal.  She didn't call, and said he did great.  He was really tired after, but seemed to be in a better mood.  Each day since has gotten a little better.  He doesn't need the pain medicine anymore but still wakes up at night crying if his throat gets too dry.  


I took my cousin to the airport on Friday.  Her two girls had their tonsils out this summer.  Saxon fell asleep on the way to the airport but kept whimpering in his sleep because it hurts.  She said he sounded just like her kids and it brings back memories of what they went through this summer.  


However, for as awful as it was, I'm glad he's almost better and glad we did it.  Now he should be able to breathe easier and sleep deeper.  He doesn't snore anymore either :)  Bridger snores though, but the thought of going through this again makes me want to cry.  Hopefully we won't ever have to.

3 comments:

Brooke Butler said...

poor Saxy! well actually poor you and Nate! I'm sorry you had to go through that but now I wont walk upto him snoring when I sleep there! haha give him kisses for me(: xoxo

janalee said...

Oh, poor Saxon! And poor you, having to take care of him!!
(hugs)
Janalee

Jamie said...

Ugh! That sounds awful! Sleepless nights? The worst. A miserable kiddo? Even worse. I'm so glad it's getting better for you.

And I can't believe we lived 2 minutes away from each other for the past 4 months and never made plans together.

We're in Orem now so we're not too far away so we can still hook-up. What about dinner some night so our husbands can watch the kids?