Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Garden Party

Welcome to our garden...
My friend Rachel and I both wanted to plant a garden this year, but being 1st time gardeners, we decided it was best to share a plot and figure it out together. Luckily, her husband (Mac) grew up on a farm, and my husband (Nate) grew up in farm country (Fallon, NV.) So, we had some support. Here's the beginning of our gardening adventure...cross your fingers for us!
The kids were really helpful too. They managed to water everything (themselves included) except the plants. They made some fabulous mud puddles. You gotta love that Vienna is gardening in a dress and little white sandals. :)
Bridger couldn't wait for the veggies to grow, so he ate the mud instead. He also ate the grass, the bark, the tomato cages, and any of Vienna's toys that he could get his little paws on. He cried his little heart out when we put him in the stroller, so we decided to set him free and see what happens. Here he is standing at the gate watching us.
This picture isn't a smile, but it's a pretty good shot of the mouth full of mud!
And of course...the star of the show. If he's not the one taking the pictures, he has to be front and center in every one.
Rachel and I decided that our garden would be more beautiful if it had a variety of colors. Since peppers have the biggest variety of colors, we seem to have chosen a lot. We have all shades of sweet peppers, as well as jalapeno peppers, serrano chiles, and our personal favorite, the macho nacho hybrid blend. We're also growing tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. Does anyone out there have a good salsa recipe? Or maybe a good pesto recipe? We planted 3 kinds of basil (purple, sweet, and lemon).
I'll post more pictures once we add the finishing touches to our garden :)

4 comments:

Amber said...

Sounds like your garden is going to be great. We are growing lots of squash and pumpkins this year (they are hard to kill which is good for me since I don't really have a green-thumb). It looks like you all had fun.

Brittany and Johnse said...

wow quite the green thumb you have!! That is so great that pemberly finally took advantage of the extra mud/field/land back there and turned it into a garden! how fun for you!

lori and clark remington said...

I have always wanted a garden...one of these days I am going to build a garden like grandma Beth had a few years ago in my yard...up and away from all the millions of rabbits we get. Her zucchini were huge and tasted so yummy. Maybe next year!

Brooke Butler said...

Cait! Looks so fun (: I hope when I visit I can have some bell peppers, they're my favorite! Your hair looks soo cute in that pic of you and your friend. I can't wait to see you this summer!!! <3