Saturday, May 30, 2009

Rock Climbing

Nate has loved rock climbing and hiking and since he was a kid.
He has hiked Timp several times as well as Nebo and Mt. Whitney (2x).
He told me when Saxon was born that he wanted to take him hiking and rock climbing.
My newborn?...No.
Over the last few years he has still been wanting to take him,
but I had to remind him that it would be no fun to carry a tired toddler up a mountain.
So, since Saxon is a very grown-up 2 1/2 year old,
we decided to try out rock climbing today.

This is what Bridger thought of being strapped to my back while Saxon had all the fun:
life's not fair.

My self- portrait with chubba on my back.

Saxon was beside himself, he was so excited!

This is Nate getting him all strapped in.
Each time I asked if he was sure this was safe, he reminded me that he knows what he is doing, and that they took Angela when she was little. Was she this little though? He's 2...

It turns out, I didn't need to worry.
Like father like son...Saxon was a natural.

He even got a big gash on the side of his leg from the rock, but he kept going.
And of course, he marked his territory on the nearest tree.

It was a really fun day. I even tried it and Saxon took the pictures (which I am not going to post. An upward angle is never good). Lucky for us, Nate really does know what he is doing and we all survived...even Bridger.

5 comments:

Angela said...

I remember my first time...so I think I was a little older than two...maybe around 4. I'm glad you guys had a good time! I doubt Carson would have done it...I don't think he likes heights too much!

Brooke Butler said...

This is soo cute Cait (:
Saxon looks like he had a lot of fun!
Can't wait to see youuuu <3

Brittany and Johnse said...

wow that is impressive! good job Nate! Saxon is so out going and active it's no surprise he LOVED it! Just wait til Bridger is climbing up it as well :)

grandma cathy said...

this reminds me of shaver lake and teaching kasen how to rock climb but he was not two... saxon is so brave and cute, definately like father like son...

COLLEEN & DENNIS said...

I well remember when angela took her first climb. The other kids didn't bother me too much because they were older--but Angela's dad was determined. I admonished him several times not to break her because she was a lot of work to make!! WELL, OF COURSE, SHE LOVED IT and could not get enough of it! I do think you were about 2 Angela, because I think it was the same summer when Nate first climbed Mt. Timp; the summer we went to Alpine Grove. Thank goodness we all survived! Grandma G.