Friday, January 15, 2010

Snow Days

I'm so behind on blogging! It seems like we keep getting sick at my house...

First, Saxon got strep throat right after Christmas. Then, of course, passed it on to me, Nate, and Brookie, while she was in town. So, we spent one of the days that Brookie was here at the pediatrician, and another day at instacare.

After we all got over strep, Bridger starts coughing. Pretty soon it sounds like barking, and I'm pretty sure he's got croup. It was too late to call the doctor though, so I figured I would just take him in the next morning. All that night, he had a fever and sounded like he could hardly breathe. First thing in the morning we went to the doctor. The doctor said it was definitely croup and it was pretty bad because his breathing was labored even during the day. He said with most cases of croup, it's only bad at night. So, poor Bridger got a shot and then we went home. He did better for one night and then the next night I was up all night again watching him because he could hardly breathe. So, the doctor called us in another dose of steroids, and it seems to have worked.

Nate is working graves again this week, so I've been trying to keep the kids busy and out of the house so he can sleep. Yesterday we went to the Legacy Center Pool and then to McDonalds to meet up with Andi and Holly and the kids. At lunch, Saxon curled up on my lap and said that he played too hard and it was making him sick. I've never heard those words come out of his mouth. My kids don't seem to have a limit of "playing too hard." So we went home, both kids fell asleep, and Saxon woke up with a low fever. He seemed ok, and then at night his fever got a little worse and made him uncomfortable and so he was up all night. Every hour or so he would wake up and ask me if we could just get up for the day. Each time I said no, he would ask for something else like, a sippy, a movie, his lion quilt, to go back to his bed, to come back in my bed, to call Daddy at work, to watch animal planet, etc. It was a long night.

Today everyone seemed better, so we went to the Dinosaur Museum. The kids looked at everything and played in the sand. Bridger loved that I didn't make him ride in a stroller. After, I let them pick a treat at the museum cafe. After he had his treat, Saxon asked me if we could just go home? I usually have to drag him out crying because he loves it so much. Sure enough, when we get home, he falls asleep and wakes up with a fever again. Poor guy! All he wants to do is watch Mary Poppins over and over.

So, since we've been sick, and I haven't been taking pictures or blogging, here are some pictures I have been meaning to post. Nate took these of the kids when he took them sledding. As you can see, Saxon loves the snow, and Bridger isn't so sure:









5 comments:

Brittany and Johnse said...

poor little sickies!!! I wish I was there to help entertain you this week while nate has to be home sleeping!!

I am so glad we talked today! I have really been missing you guys!

Love ya!

Dayna and Randy said...

Same thing going on at our house - kids asking to sleep and fevers popping up everywhere. Now everyone has the cough. Just hope our new baby stays healthy. Hope yours get better soon!

Meg said...

Poor little guys! Hope they feel better soon! I don't know if you tried this or not, but when I was younger I used to get croup a lot & my mom would wrap me up & sit with me outside because the cold air loosens up the cough a lot & makes it easier to breath. At night she would cover me in blankets & leave the window cracked so I could breath better.

Heather Strong said...

Oh my gosh that sounds awful! I'm glad you survived!

grammie said...

my poor babies, i wish i was there to help, the snow pictures are so cute and that looks like fun but i know thats because i dont live in snow....