Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Harvest

We planted a garden again this year,
and once again, it is one of the highlight of my kids' summer!
We had a late frost (the very end of May) that ruined a lot of our plants, so they got a slow start.
But, it's finally time to harvest.
We planted corn, tomatoes, sweet basil, lemon basil, cilantro, pumpkin, sweet peas, green beans, radishes, carrots, squash, zucchini, butternut squash, cucumbers, bell peppers, jalapenos, serrano chilies, onions, sunflowers, and marigolds.
I needed to make a pizza sauce today, so I ran down to the garden to get some tomatoes and basil to make sauce. When our garden is ready to harvest, I love cooking with everything from the garden. When we got there, there was more than Saxon and I could carry, so we had to go home and get a basket. Me and the boys loaded up the basket and Saxon still had to carrot all the carry and some tomatoes in his arms. Bridger doesn't know all of his colors yet, so when I say "only the RED tomatoes", it doesn't mean much to him. So, we have a bunch of green tomatoes on our counter waiting to ripen too. We have so many hot peppers that I am sending a big bag to Gregor and Joy so she can make him salsa :)

I love the garden!
I love getting to harvest all of the veggies after all of the hard work in the spring. I'm so glad that it is growing so well. I was worried after so many of our plants froze this spring. My kids love it too. Now I just need to come up with a few more recipes to use all of these veggies :)

5 comments:

Brooke Butler said...

I am so jealous! I want a garden too haha my favorite thing when I came and stayed with you in December was making all the soups and pastas. You and Nate make such yummy food, I can't wait to live by you guys(:

Jamie said...

Um, you're killing me. You're about to have a baby AND gardening AND making homemade pizza sauce AND looking gorgeous while doing it all. Geez.

I love seeing you at the store. You're beautiful.

Amber said...

Your garden is amazing, I can't believe how much you were able to harvest!

Brittany@Love Stitched said...

you are such a good mom cait....gardens, outings, you are always doing stuff with your kids and teaching them to eat healthy!!

LOVE YOU GUYS

grammie cathy said...

what a great harvest and you made such a awesome garden and i wish i could share in the veggies with you, good job cait i know a garden can be a lot of work, but the payoff is great and you are such a good cook, have fun...