Thursday, September 16, 2010

First few days...

DAY 1:
First family picture:

Picking a name:
We still hadn't decided on a name when we went to the hospital. I had a few on my list that I really liked, but we wanted to wait and see him before we decided. I don't actually think that newborns look so much like one name or another, but I still wanted to see and hold him first before we made the big decision. The minute they held him up, I knew that he was Dalton. Brittany was the first one to say it though. Right when she saw him she said "I think he's a Dalton." My mom agreed instantly and so did I. I realized after that we never asked Nate. It just seemed so clear the first time we saw him that Dalton had to be his name. I asked Nate after and he said he didn't say anything because he had always wanted him to be Dalton, he was just waiting for me to agree. Dalton Gregor Gailey. It's so perfect for him.

Dalton is my my Grandma Sonnenberg's maiden name, so that made us like it even more. (It was actually my mom who first suggested the name Dalton). I can't wait to learn more about her family so that I can tell Dalton where he came from. I love my Grandma and am proud to have Dalton carry her name.
Gregor is my little brother's name. I love Gregor and I am constantly impressed by him and proud of him. I would love for my sweet baby to turn out like him. When Gregor first saw him in the hospital he held him up, announced that he was his new favorite, and said "I think I'll call him 'little Gregor'". And he does :)
Nate and I wanted Dalton's name to reflect the great people that he has in his life and in his ancestry. He has a lot of amazing people to look up to and learn from.


When they first held him up for me:

Best Friends:
I am so lucky to have such great friends and family to support me. My mom flew in from California and took care of us for a week. I don't know what I'm going to do without her. Brittany came over the night before to do my hair and then came to the hospital to take pictures and be there with me for the delivery. And she made me my cute blue flower clip in honor of another baby boy. My friend Andi managed to find a sitter for her 5 kids and wake up early enough to nurse her newborn twins and still made it to the hospital by 6 a.m. I have been there for all of Andi's deliveries and she has been there for all of mine.


The Big Brothers:
Right after Dalton was born, Brittany went to pick up the boys from Mike so they could meet their new baby brother. Saxon was so excited! He loves his little "Humpty Dumpty". He even announced to his preschool class that "Humpty Dumpty" was born. His teacher asked Brittany a couple of days later if the baby had another name as well :)

Bridger wasn't so sure at first. He didn't want to sit by me or hold the baby, he just wanted to "hide" in the closet and check things out. He warmed up a little once we brought baby home. He was just thrilled to be getting spoiled by both Grammie and Aunt BB for a few days.

DAY 2:
We loved being in the hospital and having some quiet time with Dalton. Poor Nate was constantly running back and forth between the hospital and our house to check on the boys and then check on me. The boys were upset that Daddy had the day off and wasn't home, so he spent some time with them to help them adjust. Every time Nate would leave, my mom would come, so I always had someone with me. Mike burned a bunch of episodes of BONES for us so we had something to watch in the hospital.


DAY 3:
On Day 3 we checked out of the hospital. Nate went home early in the morning to go to Saxon's soccer game with my mom and BB & Johnse and then came back to pick me up. We dressed Dalton in his new sock monkey hat and slippers that my mom gave us. He looked so cute and little. He weighed 6 lbs. 11 oz. when we left the hospital.


My mom, Gregor & Joy, and the kids made us this cute "Welcome Home" sign.

The boys love their new baby...


This is what my house looked like while we were in the hospital...
We had the air mattress set up for Mike, the tent set up for Saxy, and my mom slept with Bubby in his bed. My kids thought it was a party!
As of today, he's officially a week old. It's already going by so fast!

4 comments:

Bernie and Doll said...

Tears....I wish with my whole heart I could have been there! I miss you! Your family is BEAUTIFUL! I'm coming this week and cant wait to hold that sweet boy! (and eat some yummy canned peaches!) Love you!

Nicole M said...

Congratulations Caitlin!! Dalton is adorable, so precious. I'm so glad everything went well! Looking forward to seeing more of him :)

Heather Strong said...

That is so great that you had so much help from family!! I was reading your post and thinking the whole time about ways that I have to prepare myself, Emmett, Jake, our home, etc... for a new baby. I am soo nervous! I have plenty of time but I hate not knowing what to expect. I guess it is going to teach me flexibility. :) We would love to come and see the baby sometime when things settle down! Also, I am open for babysitting Saxon and Bridger if you need me to! Emmett would love it. Let me know!

Brittany@Love Stitched said...

Although it was a VERY BUSY week...it was such a great week! I loved every minute of being with you and the baby, and your mom, and of course bubba chubs and Saxy :)

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!