Sunday, June 14, 2009

Legacy

I was thinking the other day, how lucky I am to have all of my grandparents.
My kids have great-grandparents who spend time with them, who play with them, who go boating and camping with them and who love them.
I think they will remember that. They will always remember that they felt loved.
As long as I have all of my grandparents, I want to know as much about them and their families as I can, so I can tell my kids about them.
(Hint, hint, Grandpa Sonnenberg...you promised me some pictures...)
My Grandpa Roy gave us a copy of his life story and pictures of his family.
I love it! I'm sure one day my kids will absolutely love it too!

Here is what Grandma Sonnenberg gave me...
This is her mother: Mabel Clair Bracken Dalton.

In this picture she is about 18. She loved to play and have fun. She played soft ball and loved to dance and spend time with her friends.
Collie was this dog's name. My grandma loved to play with him, but he was Mabel's dog.
She loved dogs. She loved to feed them, care for them and love them.
She was a hunter and a fisher. She used to say, "I got my buck, now you go get yours."
This picture made me laugh because apparently the love of hunting is a trait that was passed down through the generations. Though the hunting part may have skipped Grandma, my dad said that she has done a lot of fishing.

This is a picture of my dad after he shot his Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep in Idaho.

This is Ryan with his Bobcat in January 1996, and Gregor on a dove hunt in September 1995. My dad said he made a really long shot to get this dove.

This is the boys on a fishing trip on Lake Michigan in July of 1994.

If we're going to make sure that hunting and fishing is continued through the generations, then you know what that means POPS?
That's right...I'm sending Saxon with you on your next dove hunt.
You should practice fishing with him this summer at Lake Holiday too! :)

{Saxon saw these pictures of Ryan and Gregor fishing and said, "Look mom! It's Uncle Kasen holding a whale!"}

3 comments:

Heather Strong said...

Wow that is so cool Caitlin!

Brittany and Johnse said...

Ryan and Gregor look so little and cute!! I love looking back at old pictures...I actually have a post scheduled in the next couple days with old pics in it!! I LOVE IT!

lori and clark remington said...

Great old pictures...I'm a real believer in taking pictures of everything to enjoy the memory later!