Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Holiday Spirit

Today I took the kids to Costco to do some Christmas shopping. On the way out, Saxon asked for pizza. So, while I was at the register, I bought a slice of pizza for him and a soda for me. When I filled the soda with Diet Coke, Saxon had a meltdown. He wanted his own soda and he wanted it filled with Sprite. I wasn't about to write a check for a 50 cent soda, so I told him that he could share with me or have nothing at all. The meltdown continued down the aisle to the table where he collapsed on the floor crying about his missing sprite.

While I was trying to feed Bridger and ignore Saxon's fit, a lady came up to us and said that she ordered an extra cup and asked Saxon what he wanted. "Sprite" he whimpered. So, she went and filled his very own cup with Sprite.

I thanked her when she came back with the Sprite and she said it was no problem. She didn't have her kids with her today so she said she didn't mind helping someone else who did have their kids with them.

It made me want to be more aware of helping other people when I can because I appreciated this lady's help today. It saved me from wrestling a screaming toddler out to the car. Saxon and I talked on the way home about ways we can help out other people. He decided that he could make some cookies for his friends and some for himself :) At least he kind of understands...

4 comments:

Amber said...

That is so nice! I am always overwhelmed with gratitude when someone offers to help me out with my kids. I was at Target today and a lady who was parked next to me offered to put my shopping cart away as I was wrestling my screaming kids into their car seats. It meant so much to me, more than she probably knew. It always amazes me how small acts of kindness can really brighten someone's day.

Heather Strong said...

That is so cute! Sometimes I wish they made shopping carts with lids so I could just put Emmett in a cage if he is being naughty while I am trying to shop... maybe I will invent it - ya know, just with a close-able lid ha ha.

Angela said...

Isn't it great when people go out of their way to help. I think we could all do a little more. By the way you look amazing in those pictures in your last post.

kristi said...

People have NOOOOOO idea how much those little things can mean to a mom. (Well, she probably DID know and that's why she helped)... but it's SO amazing how that can turn a bad situation into something much better. Wish I could've been there to help you! ;)