Monday, August 24, 2009

Garden Love

One of my favorite things this summer has been my gorgeous garden.
This was my first garden. I have learned so much, and it has been such a fun activity for my family.
Plus, it forces me to be more creative in my cooking.
Rachel and I share the garden, so Saxon loves to pick veggies with Vienna.



This are some pictures I snapped last night since our sunflowers finally bloomed.

BASIL:
We've used it for pesto, fresh cucumber salads, vegetable lasagna, and I just read a recipe for a tropical salsa that uses basil instead of cilantro. I can't wait to try it!

TOMATOES:
Holly and I made a yummy, fresh pasta sauce from home-grown tomatoes.
Nate loves to eat them plain.

BELL PEPPER: (green, yellow, purple)
This has been a newly discovered love. I've never enjoyed bell pepper until now. We've used it in pitas, in pasta, in veggie lasagna, pizza...everything.


ONION:
That's easy...everything needs onion. But, a little goes a long way, so we use it sparingly.

GREEN BEANS:
Nate and Bridger love to eat them raw. They never last long enough to for me to cook.
YELLOW SQUASH:
Our garden is overflowing in yellow squash. We have to eat it every day just to keep up. I have baked it, grilled it, steamed it, added it to pasta sauce and lasagna, and I am running out of ideas. Does anyone have any good recipes that call for squash?
CARROT:
These funny little carrots are short and purple, but they sure are yummy!
PUMPKIN:
We're saving them for Halloween!

BUTTERNUT SQUASH and ACORN SQUASH:
I haven't made any yet, but I can't wait!
We're also growing CUCUMBERS and ZUCCHINI.
If anyone has any good recipes or ideas for meals from the garden, I would love to hear them! I'm running out of ideas, but I love cooking from the garden. It's fresh and cheap (both of which are important).

6 comments:

Meg said...

Now I really want to start a garden!

janalee said...

Oh, your garden looks fantastic :).

As far as the squash [or any other produce], my mom's ward cookbook has a yummy recipe for spaghetti sauce that uses almost every vegetable you have growing. You fill up a large pot with tomato sauce, and diced fresh tomatoes, then chop up and add: peppers, onions, zucchini, squash, garlic, basil, etc [pretty much every kind of produce you have on hand]. You cook it 'till all the veggies are as tender as you want them to be. You can bottle and freeze the sauce, or just make enough to feed your own family. :)

[and, if you decide to bottle it and you'd rather can it, I have the canning supplies at my house]

Oh, and if you cook and puree the squash, you can add it to most sauces or gravies.

lori and clark remington said...

Wow! That is your garden...mine is so tiny compared to yours! I am so impressed! You have a gardening talent! My tomatoes are doing so great and I am getting green beans...but my squash isn't doing so well! I'll try again next year!

Emily said...

What a garden! It looks really good. I think the best part of a garden is the fresh Veggies and that it is cheap. Great job on your garden.

kristi said...

WOW!! Is there anything you CAN'T do?!?!? You are amazing. Get the book Deceptively Delicious from the library. It has lots of recipes that "hide" fruits and veggies in it. I've only done a few of the recipes, but I liked them!

The life of MeMe said...

I am so JEALOUS. I miss gardening so much! Can't wait until apartment life is far far behind me... if that day ever comes again.