Thursday, March 5, 2009

I hope they call me on a mission...

I think about my mission a lot and how important it was to me. It's so cool that Nate and I both served missions because it's an experience that we can talk about together. If you didn't serve a mission, you can't entirely relate to some of the crazy things missionaries go through. Nate's mom was joking the last time she was in town about all these boys in our family. She said that Heavenly Father must need a lot of missionaries in the coming years. I totally agree! It got me thinking about ways I can prepare my little guys to be great missionaries one day. I want them to know how important it is and what a life changing experience it is for you and the people you teach.

I was reading my friend Rachel's blog and came across some cute children's books that she recommended. There was a book called "This is Edinburgh." Edinburgh, Scotland is where my dad served his mission. I called and asked him if he would buy the book for Saxon and Bridger and tell them how important his mission was to him.

This is a picture of my Dad and Grandpa and Grandma Sonnenberg in front of the old MTC in Salt Lake.
Early this morning, the Fed-Ex guy rang our doorbell.
That can only mean one thing...
a package from Grandpa Dean!!!

The boys and I opened it right away.
I couldn't believe it!
He sent the boys the Edinburgh book with a letter inside about his mission. He also sent pictures from his mission that I've never even seen! He sent all kinds of Scottish cookies and treats and two flags. He also sent Saxon some animal alphabet flash cards that he has been wanting and a book called "Follow the Line around the World." He even included a book about Scottish poet Robert Burns and a picture of him as a missionary standing in front of Burns Cottage.
My boys thought it was Christmas!
Bridger immediately helped himself to some shortbread.

And Saxon tried one of everything.

Thank you so much Dad!
That was the greatest gift ever and so much more than I expected!
Thanks for being a good example to my boys!
(This is a picture of Great-Grandpa Sonnenberg, Grandpa Dean, Muriell, and Elder Rose)
Now I need to work on the other returned missionaries that my boys love and get stories and books about their missions :)

10 comments:

Heather Strong said...

That is so cool! I agree about the whole mission thing - SO important and something someone has to go on to understand. Jake and I still share mission stories all the time and it was totally a way that we bonded and got to know each other better when we were dating. That is so cool of your dad, too! Yay missions!!

Angela said...

What a great idea!! I made a book of Quinn's mission with letters and pictures that he sent to me and Carson loves looking at it. There is one picture of Quinn on a donkey though so Carson somehow thinks missions and riding donkeys are connected now...

Amber said...

That is a really good idea. What a great way to introduce your boys to the missionary experience. It is definitely something Mike and I are going to have to do with our boys, too.

Brittany and Johnse said...

your dad is always so good with the packages!! That is such a great idea about the books from all the missionaries you know!! your so smart! I love the pic of Bridger and Saxon together with the "loot" Bridger has the best smile and a adorable "fo-hawk" and Saxon is such as smiley and handsome as ever.

It's bitter sweet to read your blog...I love to catch up with you and the boys but then it breaks my heart that i am not there and I am missing so much! I can't wait to come stay with you in 2 weeks!

I love you guys!

janalee said...

Wow- see, I never would have thought to ask for something like that, and it is a perfect gift! Thanks so much for the idea :)

lori and clark remington said...

Wow Dean...good for you! Caitlin, what a great idea to have your dad send them things fro his mission! I'm impressed!

Nicole M said...

That was so sweet of your dad! I love those old pictures too.

Anonymous said...

hey hey!!! I never knew you served a mission!!! how cool!!! you boys...I just want to squish their cheeks!!!

kristi said...

That is REALLY cool about your dad, but I know you have some pretty cool stories to share too!! :)

Unknown said...

I miss you guys!! i just voted for saxxon's paint picture on ambyr's blog. He is so freakin' cute. We need to hang out!!