Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolutions

So, how many people actually keep their New Year's Resolutions? I'm pretty sure I usually forget mine after a few weeks. Although, it's usually something dumb, like "lose weight". This year I'm going to try to make some that actually matter, and I hope that by writing them down, I will actually keep them...
1. Enjoy my time with my kids. In his talk "Daughters of God" Elder Ballard quotes Anna Quindlin, "The biggest mistake I made as a parent is one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs...I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting done a little less."
2. Date Nate. We rarely get time with just us.
3. Teach my kids. Teach them to one day be great missionaries, great husbands, and great fathers, just like their dad. Teach them by doing, by example, by reading the scriptures, by saying prayers, by going to church, by having better family home evenings...
4. To teach Saxon to swim and wakeboard
5. To take Bridger on his first trip to Chicago and Shaver Lake
Can you guess where these Resolutions are from: "To do one new thing a day; To take more pictures; to not gossip as much; to learn to play the guitar; to learn to fly a plane; to not make fun of anyone" ?
Here's a clue: The episode is called "The one with all the resolutions"
And speaking of Resolutions, here's Saxon's and Bridger's...

4 comments:

Angela said...

Oh I know! Its from Friends. Good episode...anyway Brooks and my mom told me about your blog so I thought I'd check it out! I love the pictures and and updates of your boys! Carson loves watching the videos of Saxon! Quinn and I do too!! We sure do miss you guys!! Happy New Year!!

kristi said...

You have some great resolutions! Thanks for all the inspirational things you put on here. You truly are my hero!

Brittany and Johnse said...

that video is so cute! i have been a bad commenter lately....so sorry don't think because i didn't comment i didn't look or like! i love! happy new year cait! i love you!
(you too bubbies and saxy)
(ok yes you too nate :) )

janalee said...

:) Great resolutions from the kids, and I like your list too!